March of the Royal Trumpets (1892)
Six Egyptian trumpets, nearly five feet long, were used by the Sousa Band in featuring this composition on the first tour in 1892. There is no record of the piece being performed by the band after that season. However, in 1904 Sousa appropriated some of the themes for “Her Majesty the Queen,” a movement of his At the King’s Court suite. Band parts of the original “March of the Royal Trumpets” found their way to the Detroit Concert Band in 1966, and the piece was revived for a radio broadcast. This was the first performance in seventy-four years, and the march was never published in the original form.
Paul E. Bierley, The Works of John Philip Sousa (Westerville, Ohio: Integrity Press, 1984), 43. Used by permission.