Marine Barracks Annex, Washington, D.C. --
SUBMITTING A VIDEO FOR THE STARS AND STRIPES PROJECT
- Students through 12th grade are invited to submit a video of themselves performing “The Stars and Stripes Forever” which will be released in a collage video format on July 4. (Participation in the play along is not required to submit a video; depending on the volume of entries, not all videos may be featured, but as many as possible will be included.)
- For sheet music, follow steps above. Choose the part you normally play at school.
- June 1—Video submissions for “The Stars and Stripes Forever” due by midnight EDT
- July 4—“The Stars and Stripes Forever” collage video will be released by ABA and the U.S. Marine Band
You need TWO devices:
1) A Playback Device to listen to/play along with the Marine Band. Plug your headphones into this device.
2) A Recording Device to record your video and audio (phone, tablet, computer). Tip: The sound quality is better when using a USB mic or audio interface/mic combo. However, if this is not available, the device microphone is acceptable.
Tips for your recording:
- Place your device on a solid surface in landscape mode (wide shot).
- Ensure you are well-framed in the video, we can see you playing your instrument, and we can see your head.
- Ensure your lighting is good and music stand is out of the frame.
- Ensure you are in a quiet space with no background noise.
- Ensure the background is appropriate. This is a military/ Department of Defense collaboration and any videos with inappropriate material will not be included in the final project.
Recording Your Performance:
- Start recording on your recording device.
- Start the reference recording on your playback device.
- Follow the recording, starting after the four prep clicks.
- Play your part all the way through. (Feel free to do this as many times as you need until you’re satisfied!)
- Upload the video of your best performance at FULL resolution; link to upload your part: https://www.facebook.com/events/875169579669177/
Having Trouble uploading your video? Feel free to send your video via Dropbox link, Google Drive link, or through a service such as WeTransfer to email@example.com.
- All submissions are anonymous. By submitting your recording, you are giving permission for your image and audio to be included unidentified in this presentation. Submission of a video does not guarantee inclusion in the final project.
- Thank you to the American Bandmasters Association, John Philip Sousa Foundation, National Band Association, and state band directors associations throughout the U.S. who promoted this project.
- Special thanks to the Frost School of Music at the University of Miami, University of Miami Information Technology, and the American Bandmasters Association Foundation for funding this initiative.
The American Bandmasters Association and the United States Marine Band invite you to perform virtually with the Marine Band! On Wednesday, May 27, 2020, at 1 p.m. (EDT) participate in a special Sousa event with Colonel Jason K. Fettig of “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band. With everyone joining online, Col. Fettig will conduct a performance of John Philip Sousa’s marches “The Thunderer” and “The Stars and Stripes Forever.” This free event is open to anyone and will take place on youtube.com/usmarineband.
After the online play along, students through 12th grade are invited to submit a video of themselves performing “The Stars and Stripes Forever” for a worldwide collage performance that will be assembled and debuted on July 4th! Details are below.
HOW TO JOIN THE PLAY ALONG
- Wednesday, May 27 at 1 p.m. (EDT)—Rehearse and play along with Colonel Jason K. Fettig and the U.S. Marine Band (Event will last approximately 15 minutes)
- All ages and skill levels invited to participate in the play along!
- Download your part to “The Stars and Stripes Forever” https://www.marineband.marines.mil/Audio-Resources/The-Complete- Marches-of-John-Philip-Sousa/The-Stars-and-Stripes-Forever-March/
- Click on “DOWNLOAD FULL SCORE AND PARTS.”
- Scroll down to the part you wish to play, counting ALL pages including the title pages. Print your part. Be sure to select print for only the pages you need.
- Download your part to “The Thunderer” https://www.marineband.marines.mil/Audio-Resources/The-Complete- Marches-of-John-Philip-Sousa/The-Thunderer-March/
- Practice along with the Marine Band recordings:
Reference Recording (click track): The Stars and Stripes Forever by John Philip Sousa
Reference Recording (click track): The Thunderer
- On May 27 at 1 p.m. (EDT) join fellow musicians from around the world in performing with the United States Marine Band under the direction of the Marine Band Director.
SHEET MUSIC ONLY:
The Stars and Stripes Forever