Banner Icon could not be loaded.

“The President’s Own”

United States Marine Band

Lieutenant Colonel Jason K. Fettig, Director
Sousa’s March Mania: Vote for Your Favorite March

By Staff Sgt. Rachel Ghadiali | “The President’s Own” | March 07, 2014

March 6, 2014 --

When it comes to the historical knowledge and performance of marches, the United States Marine Band could be considered a prime resource, especially for those written by John Philip Sousa.

That’s why during the month of March, “The President’s Own” will be hosting “Sousa’s March Mania,” a tournament pitting 32 marches against each other for the Marine Band online community to determine which one is the favorite.

Every day through April 4, marches will compete head to head while Marine Band friends and fans vote which ones advance in the tournament. Participants can visit the Marine Band website to listen to the competing marches, download and print a tournament bracket, and vote for favorites. The winners of “Sousa’s March Mania” will be named “The March King” for a day!

For more information, click here.

7 Comments

• Frank 134 days ago
    What I find funny about the entire list is that I did not see Alte Kameraden, Barnum & Bailey's Favorite, Colonel Bogey, Army of the Nile, Voice of the Guns, or a few other Fillmore marches besides The Circus Bee, and many other famous marches. I question who picked the march titles. It is hard to believe and understand that Entry March of the Boyares won.
  • Virgil H. Soule 142 days ago
    The Band should set a goal to record all of Sousa's marches. Put a new one in every concert. You-all could probably sight-read them right off the page.
  • B Wehrung 143 days ago
    I don't have a Facebook account and have no intention of opening one, but I do need to ask, where is "Nobles of the Mystic Shrine," which is my nomination?
  • Virgil H. Soule 146 days ago
    The next time you run one of these contests, exclude Stars and Stripes Forever and include Procession of the Nobles from Mlada.
  • Cameron 153 days ago
    Great idea! I love this. This is a March madness I can relate to and get into. Some of the voting will be easy, others difficult. I have which one I want to come out as the winner - but I won't say now. I hope it comes true.
  • Virgil H. Soule 155 days ago
    Most of the March Mania links don't work. Irksome.
  • Barry Owen 158 days ago
    Great idea. Some of us are March Heads at heart. Classical, Jazz, and marches - who couls ask for any thing more, as the song goes.

(required)