VIRTUAL CLINICS AND MASTERCLASSES: (High School and University)
Music educators at the high school and university levels can sign up now for musicians of “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band to provide virtual clinics and masterclasses for their students. Clinics are instrument-specific and can cover topics requested by the educator. Masterclasses have a predetermined focus. These sessions will take place between Oct. 5 and Nov. 13, 2020, and can be used in both virtual or in-person classroom settings. Please note that this free resource is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sign Up
Read Full Description of Offered Clinics and Masterclasses
MUSIC IN THE SCHOOLS: (Grades K-9)
Music in the Schools is an educational program designed for grades K-9, allowing students to experience the music of the Marine Band and interact directly with its musicians. During the fall of 2020, this free resource is offered nationally as a digital initiative.
Available starting Oct. 5, Music in the Schools resources includes pre-recorded performances, virtual Q&A sessions with Marine Band musicians, and lesson planning resources.
- General Music - Around the World in 30 Minutes
- For grades K-5. Develop new musical interests and explore the importance of musical curiosity with folk music from around the world! Students will experience music from Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the Americas, as demonstrated by the versatile musicians of the Marine Band. LINKS: Video / Lesson Plans / Program
- Band - Why I Love Playing Music
- For musicians in beginner/intermediate band. There are endless varieties of music, and just as many reasons to love playing it! In this performance, percussion, brass and woodwind ensembles from the Marine Band share their musical talents, as well as the reasons they love making music. LINKS: Video / Lesson Plans / Program
- Orchestra - String Colors: Painting with Sound
- For musicians in beginner/intermediate orchestra. This program showcases the incredible world of musical colors and textures possible with string instruments. The Marine Chamber Orchestra introduces a variety of fun and evocative chamber music, reinforces elements of basic string musicianship, and shows students what they can look forward to as they continue to explore their musical journey as a string musician. LINKS: Video / Lesson Plans / Program
Q&A Sessions: Marine Band musicians will be available for a 20-minute virtual Q&A session once students have watched one of the performances listed above. Q&As are intended to be used as a follow-up discussion to the video performances. These sessions will take place between Oct. 5 and Nov. 13, 2020, and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Sign up now.